Friday 23 March 2012

Splendid PC Engine Music #1

Dragon Egg! (1991)

The PC Engine was a strange console in many ways. It was tiny but deceptively powerful and it managed to push 16-bit performance out of an 8-bit CPU. One of the numerous advantages of that was the superb quality of its audio which rivalled that of the fully-16-bit MegaDrive. For my first look back at some of the most splendid Engine compositions, I've chosen this delightful platformer and, in particular, the catchy tune found on its first stage:

(full Dragon Egg! review here)



Special Note: I didn't record this great tune myself, I'm just an admirer, so all credit goes to the original composer

6 comments:

  1. Well, you're certainly right when you say it's splendid! Very jaunty and upbeat, just as I like my PCE tunes :) Sadly, and strangely, I've yet to play this game. Guess I'll have to get to that soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said that after my review of it! ;) It's a great game though, I enjoyed playing through it a lot. The music isn't bad either! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I know. Don't worry, I'll get around to it eventually :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaunty is the perfect word, Bryan! Just right for a sunny spring morning. Japanese composers were so good at this kind of harmony driven tune, a real feat given the limited sound channels of the time (I'm unfamiliar with the PCE, but this sounds like four channels ro me).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it's a pretty splendid tune! :) The Engine has a lot of them, there will be plenty more of these posts! I believe the Engine had six channels, by the way, but I'm not on expert on stuff like that :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen it.really wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete