Sunday 2 February 2020

PS4 Purchases #8

If anyone still visits here, they may remember a post I made almost exactly a year ago detailing five games my good friend Luke had recommended to me. One of them I already had in my Good Old Games library, a review of which will be arriving soon, but the others all required expenditure on my part. Two of them I still haven't gotten around to buying (hopefully soon!) but there are two I have purchased. And so, it is with medium levels of pleasure I present them to you thus:

Rise of the Tomb Raider by Crystal Dynamics (2016)

Even though when I spoke to Luke recently he had forgotten which Tomb Raider game he included in his recommendations, it was this one, although it wouldn't have mattered to me much anyway as I haven't played any since the 1996 original! Happily, this one was at a pleasingly low price with Amazon (a mere £15) so I snapped it up pretty sharpish, and was looking forward to giving it a try. When I finally got around to playing it, I unsurprisingly found that the series has moved on somewhat since the original. Lara's boobs are now boob-shaped, and a much more realistic size too, and they move through some spectacular locales along with their owner. Indeed, I was ultra-impressed with the delightful scenery graphics, even if Lara's ass did prove a little distracting, but aside from these wonderful graphics I'm still a bit unsure about the actual game. It seems to be more linear than I had expected, and apparently consists of periods of running in between numerous QTE-type bits. I thought the days of QTE's were long gone! Oh well, it matters not as Boromir might say, it's worth playing anyway for those graphics.

Subnautica by Unknown Worlds Entertainment (2018)

This high-end indie title had been on my Steam wishlist for a while, even before Luke recommended it, but before I finally grabbed it from there in a sale, I was very pleased to discover it was also released on PS4, and even in physical form too! Mighty fine. Sadly, much like most physical releases nowadays, it's pretty much just the box and disc, but that's okay - the game looks interesting enough by itself. I'm not normally into these newfangled 3D 'action adventures' but this one had an appealing story which involves the player learning to survive on the strange watery planet on which his spacecraft crashed while exploring the mainly underwater areas and investigating mysteries and stuff. I haven't spent too long with it yet but it seems like a very immersive game with some wonderful moments as well as some creepy ones. Indeed, for the waters that make up the game are apparently filled with many alien creatures, and not all are friendly! The graphics are really nice too, and definitely encourage you to explore further. I'm looking forward to doing just that soon. Assuming I can find the time, that is (sad smiley)...

Many thanks for the recommendations Luke, they are both quality titles for sure and I will undoubtedly be spending more time with both now they are in my permanent (physical) collection. Just two more to go now! :)
 

2 comments:

  1. Cheers for giving these a spin! Subnautica is so scary I'm reluctant to play again :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey! I haven't reached any particularly scary parts yet but I expect to soon :P

      Delete