Friday 26 June 2020

New Arrival - C64 Mini!

Okay, this one isn't really an ultra-new arrival. In fact, if any evidence was needed of my apparently-unavoidable procrastinistic (is that a word?) tendencies, it's that this 'new' arrival was received from my lovely wife as a birthday gift - eleven months ago! Fear not, I have used it quite a bit; it's just the posting about it here part that I'm somewhat behind on, but better late than never?!

She actually bought if for me due to a mix-up. She thought she had heard me talking about the C64 a lot and bought if for me based on that. All I can think of is that she heard me talking about the N64 (she wouldn't know the difference), but whatever the reason, I am actually glad she made the mistake because, even if there was an N64 Mini, I've played most of the top games on that console extensively, whereas my Speccy allegiance in the 80's means I've played very few of the C64's most renowned titles. I had of course originally intended to rectify that issue here, but while I have played some well-known as well as some less-well-known games on Commodore's brown breadbin since then, I have not really done so to anywhere near the extent I had intended. Perhaps this mighty gift will be the catalyst?

Naturally, what this all means is that there's much here I know little or nothing about, and that is surely preferable to repeat plays through games I already know like the back of my hand? I certainly think so, making this an ace gift, so thanks wifey! But what games do C64-noobs like me have to look foward to? Well, even I know that many of the more celebrated games for the system are not included on this latest 'mini' console, but there is still a fairly-impressive 64 titles to choose from.

That figure is just a coincidence, I'm sure (chortle!). I don't believe there are any arcade conversions among them though (a result, I suspect, of licensing issues), and some big names I know of such as Wizball, Turrican, and The Last Ninja are not here either, but some other big names like Gribbley's Day Out, Boulder Dash, Speedball, Uridium, and Spindizzy are here along with many other titles I'm less familiar with. I'm confident at least most of the included games will stir up (probably) fond memories for most people, as well as help people like me to discover/explore them for the first time. There's a nice mix of genres too, and I've already gotten into a few of them. I think Cyberdyne Warrior is my favourite so far which is one I'd never played before, but there are lots of decent games here.

It's a great package overall too. The unit itself is lovely - it looks nice and is well made (though the keys don't work in case you were wondering) and the required HDMI cable comes in the box. My only issue with the whole thing is the joystick that comes with it. It's great that Retro Games (the company that makes it) included a controller in the style that would've been used in its day, but... I'm crap with it!


I suppose all these years of using console control pads have taken their toll, for I am apparently no longer able to use a proper joystick! Well, I can use it, but I don't find it easy, especially when playing games that require quick/precise movements, and it often doesn't feel tremendously responsive either. Happily, some of the other USB controllers around are compatible, although I do feel a bit guilty using one.

That is my only gripe with this great little console though. I'm sure everyone will have some of their favourite games missing from the selection but I believe it's fairly easy to add more yourself. Even if it isn't though, the great design, easy connectivity, and low price compared to some other 'mini' consoles (it's currently about £50 on Amazon) make this a great purchase for anyone with a fondness for retro goodness, and it makes for an even better gift as I've dicovered! Thanks lovely wife! :)

See a full game list for the C64 Mini here (European version).
 

2 comments:

  1. Its great alternative controllers can be used. One feature I would like to see on all "mini" consoles/computers is on-demand "save state", so we can jump in and out of games at our convenience.
    After all, how many times are we interrupted by a demand to suddenly complete an "urgent" chore? :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you're right, it's not so easy to play games for long periods when you're a grown-up :P I believe most mini consoles do indeed have a 'save state' or equivalent feature though, including this one.

      Delete