Friday 15 February 2019

Retro News - Free Dreamcast Book!

I don't write about the Dreamcast here nearly as much as I should. It's mainly a time issue - its games will generally take much longer to play and write reviews for - but it's still a bit of a travesty considering how splendid the system is, and how important it is to me too. I do try to keep up with news from within the lively DC community though, and recently I heard a splendid example.


As you may have already noticed by the interceding picture here, the DC community hasn't just been burbling on about their favourite console and its many fine games. They have gone to the effort of making an entire book listing them all, and the best part is - it's completely free to download and keep! This will be of particular interest to hardcore DC fans too, as it's an amazingly comprehensive tome. Every single game ever released for the console is contained within including indie titles released after the console's supposed demise, and all entries have an overview of the game as well as detailed release info including any regional variants or alternate names, etc.

So to whom do we direct thanks for this wondrous gift? Well, I previously referred to the generous benefactor(s) as 'they' as in the DC community, but remarkably it was actually the work of one dedicated fellow for the most part. Community members know him as 'Space Turnip' but to everyone else he goes by Mike Phelan, and just a quick browse through his guide reveals how exhaustive it is.


Indeed, for while info, help and support came from many quarters, mainly in the form of informational resources, it still must've taken a hell of a lot of effort and patience to gather and arrange everything, so to release it for free is a mighty fine gesture on Mr. Turnip's part. The fruit of his labours is a superb resource in which anyone with any interest in the mighty Dreamcast will no doubt find many interesting snippets at the very least, but for any serious collectors it could well prove ultra-essential.

I therefore suggest you thank the Great Maker for the loyal Dreamcast community, hit the link below, grab yourself a copy, and then convey your gratitude accordingly!

Download your copy of the The A to Z of Dreamcast Games here
 

7 comments:

  1. Space Turnip, there's a name from the past! Those happy, strange days on the RG forum...

    Met him at an event in Sheffield once, and another time he sent me a load of pages torn from 90s Argos catalogues where he worked. Good to hear he's still kicking about, thanks for the notice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, those were the days, huh? The early years of the RG forum were great. I haven't been there for... wow, must be more than 10 years!

      Delete
    2. Think it's five or six years since I went there - that place used to be a lot of fun. I'll always be thankful for it, most of the "real life" mates I have today came from there, and I doubt I'd ever've ended up working for Replay either if I hadn't decided to join a forum one boring evening back in 2008.

      Delete
    3. That's awesome :) I don't have any real life mates from the forum but I did have a good laugh there until it started getting filled with annoying trolls :(

      Delete
  2. Cheers Simon, and glad you enjoyed it! Glad the guide is useful to people - started as a simple list I started compiling, actually at about the time of the event in Sheffield! And Twoheadedboy, I remember our intense battle on Micro Machines 2 well, a rematch is long overdue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, the man himself has dropped by! It's a great book man, thanks for releasing it for free. The great detail you've gone into is not only useful but also pleases my OCD :)

      Delete
    2. That was truly intense, I can't remember who won though - that's the great thing with Micro Machines, every time I play someone they're either awful or amazing at it.

      I went to Eurocon in Blackpool a few years ago, and won the Micro Machines '96 tournament there, which you may be glad/pleased to know.

      Delete