Friday 5 October 2018

They Might Be Giants - Chiptuned!

Most things I post here at Red Parsley will only be of interest to a small number of people, but even with that in mind the subject of this particular post really will be of limited appeal. For the tiny core of people with the right combination of interests, however, it will be a truly wondrous post worthy of wine, women and song!

Before we get to that, let me just say, I've been a fan of They Might Be Giants for many years now - nearly 30 years in fact, ever since an old friend made me a tape of their first two albums back in our school days (don't worry - I bought the originals soon afterwards) - and they've pretty much been my favourite band ever since.


Yes, I know in more recent years they've made several educational albums for the kiddies, but their 'proper' albums are still among the few music albums I actually look forward to the release of these days (for yes indeed, they are still going strong). One of their most popular albums remains Flood released in 1990 which contains 'Birdhouse in your Soul', still probably their best known song.

Regular readers of this blog may also know of my fondness for retro videogames which are, besides a few Steam/PS4 indie titles, about all I play nowadays. But what in the blue blazes does this have to do with the mighty TMBG, you probably aren't asking. Well, just recently I discovered something quite remarkable on YouTube, a website on which I rarely venture - a talented fellow by the name of Max Demski.

Max, you see, is apparently also a fan of both TMBG and retro gaming as I am, but unlike me he has quite amazingly made a 'cover version' of the entire Flood album, recreating all the tracks in the style of glorious 8-bit-style chiptune music! And just in case you're worried that the result of this is a warbling cacophony of ear-melting awfulness, allow me to dispel your fears by confirming that it is in fact awesome.

I guess there isn't much more for me to say. If you like TMBG, you might find this quite cool but a bit weird. If you like retro games, you might find this cool but the choons unfamiliar. But if you like both, you'll almost certainly find it too wondrous to even explain in any language of man. My suggestion would be to listen to it anyway, and if you like it tell Max how great he is for having the idea and talent to make it!

Full credit as well as back-slapping admiration go to Max Demski. Visit his YT channel here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment