Wednesday 20 January 2021

PS4 Purchases #10

I suddenly realised today that I haven't done one of these PS4 posts for a while, and while deciding which of my backlog of games to feature, I was startled to discover that I haven't mentioned these two games yet despite having them in my collection for over two years now. Oops! Oddly, I actually have them both twice too. This is because I had them on my Christmas wishlist on Amazon, but when I didn't receive them as gifts I decided to buy them for myself. Then, however, it turned out my sister, who I hadn't seen over Christmas, had got them for me. Harumpf! Oh well, here's a look at both games (well, one copy of each anyway - chortle!).

Cat Quest by The Gentlebros/PQube (2017)

Unlike most of my PS4 games, this one was introduced to me thanks to the free demo I found on the PlayStation Store. I'm not usually much of an RPG gamer but I was quickly enchanted by its casual, humorous tone (including many cat-astrophically bad cat puns - har har!), and as soon as I finished the demo I sought out the full version. Happily, a physical version was available, and for a very reasonable price on Amazon too, and upon receiving it I got stuck in with an enthusiasm I seldom have for any game these days. In fact, I played it so much I should've written a full review by now - soon, perhaps - but suffice to say, this entertaining adventure is still one of my favourite PS4 games despite being one of my first. Sadly it isn't one of those indie releases with an instruction booklet or other goodies in the case, or even a leaflet, but it doesn't matter too much when the game is as much fun as this one. I would say it's one I'll spend a lot of time on but I already have!

Yooka-Laylee by Playtonic Games/Team 17 (2017)

This one got quite of bit of press around the time of its release, due mainly to its similarities to Rare's wonderful N64 platformers such as Banjo Kazooie. These similarities weren't too surprising, as it turned out, upon learning that the game was developed by some ex-Rare coders, but that's fine by me as I greatly enjoyed Rare's N64 titles, particularly Banjo. Well, that and GoldenEye and Blast Corps among others, but Yooka-Laylee has little in common with those to my knowledge. It has a lot in common with Banjo though - it's almost like an HD reboot, but with different characters! This has been to the ire of some critics who deemed it too outdated but I love it so far. Finding time to play it properly is the problem, as with so many other games. Again, it's a no-frills physical release but the cover artwork is appealing and it's definitely another nice one to have in the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment