Thursday 5 January 2023

First Look PC #7

TT Isle of Man: Ride on the Edge by KT Racing / Nacon (2018) - PC

As much as I enjoy driving/racing games, there are two types I seldom seem to encounter - really fast examples, and motorcycle-based ones. A good while back on YouTube I happened upon a video of a racing game which was very evidently motorcycle-based and also one that looked very fast. This was enough for me to add it to my Steam wishlist and lo, before much longer I found it on sale (does anyone buy Steam games at full price?). Unusually for me (and probably most people), I immediately installed it and gave it a go. What I found was a game that looked just like the one in the video I had seen, but what that failed to portray, and what I forgot to consider, was the implications of a really fast motorcycle game, particularly one based around the Isle of Man TT course.

And that is, as I'm sure non-stupid people won't be surprised to hear, that it's really, really difficult! Well, I found it so anyway, but there are at least a good few options. There's a multi-player mode for up to eight players as well as quick race, time attack, career and tutorial options for a single-player. If you choose 'quick race' as I did, you'll get ten real courses from around the UK to choose from, including the Isle of Man TT course, obviously, and then a choice of bike. These are divided into two categories - supersport or superbike - with 17 of the former and 18 of the latter available, each with what I assume are their real riders, though the game's blurb mentions that there are a mighty impressive 38 bikes in total along with 25 riders, so I'm guessing some are unlocked later.

You have the opportunity to create your own rider in the career mode but obviously the course and bike choices are far more limited here, or I suppose I should say they are more slowly accessed. It seems good so far but, as mentioned, I really haven't fared too well yet. It is classed as a simulator though, and I've always favoured arcade-style racers, but I think it's fairly accessible for sim standards. About the only assistance you get (as far as I know) is the racing line indicator which is actually really good - it changes colour depending on your speed and whereabouts on the course you are. If you brake a bit for a corner but the line is still red, for example, you'll know you have to brake a bit more. This may be 'borrowed' from somewhere for all I know but it does prove a big help.

The main reason I find it difficult is that speed - scenery, corners and other riders come at you fast, and being motorbikes, it doesn't take much to knock you off or send you flying into something else! I can pretty much guarantee any normal gamer will fall (or get thrown) off their bike every 10-20 seconds at first. Unsurprisingly, this means you won't finish anywhere near the other riders, and even after a considerable amount of practise, I still haven't finished anywhere but dead last, and it's for that reason this is a 'First Look' rather than a full review. Perhaps one day I will be skilled/experienced enough to write a proper review but not yet. I have enjoyed the game though, don't get me wrong - there's a lot to it and it's very exciting - I just need to learn to stay on my bike!

RKS Score: 4/5

Here's a trailer of the game from the publisher's own channel. Ironically, it doesn't do a great job of showcasing the game's amazing speed. If you want to see more of the game, check out this video which is the only one I can find that uses the 'helmet cam' that I use when I played.




No comments:

Post a Comment