Tuesday 16 July 2024

PS4 Purchases #14

Mass Effect - Legendary Edition by 11 Bit Studios / Dead Mage (2019)

I was going to start this post by saying that anyone who knows me knows that Star Control 2 is my favourite game of all time, but then I remembered that my wife of 16 years wouldn't be able to tell you that if you held a gun to her head! But anyway, it is, and its many other fans often ask each other for recommendations of other games that remind them of SC2. One of the names that keeps cropping up in these discussions is Mass Effect - a game/series famous enough for even me to have heard of it. I've never played any of them, naturally, but I've long wanted to. I nearly bought the trilogy boxset for my PS3 but found it a bit pricey, so upon hearing about a remastered version of the first three games for PS4, I swiftly wishlisted it, and soon after procured it for just twenty English pounds.

Sadly, there was one thing I forgot to consider - storage space. My PS4 was already nearly full up and this game(s), being a relatively modern triple-A release, obviously takes up about 90 trillion terabytes on the HD. As a result, I haven't even gotten around to installing it yet (and all the inevitable updates), never mind playing it. I suppose I'll have to get an external HD for it but I don't know what that involves really. Can I just plug in an SSD that I use with my PC? Research required, I guess! I'm certainly eager to play these games too, and find out why so many Star Control 2 fans recommend them. How many "Oh, now I get it!" moments will there be? Will I commit myself to playing the games properly? I'm sure they're very time-consuming. History says no but I want to, and I do now have them. Watch this space...

3 comments:

  1. u r always running out of storage!
    Not playing this (when u already have it)
    is particularly wasteful :(

    Glad u enjoyed RR !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will watch this space. But I won't hold my breath!
    So far I've only spent a brief time on the 1st one.
    I'd be interested to learn of the similarities.
    Similarities are not immediately obvious
    Game type is very different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be wise to not hold your breath, but I do genuinely want to play this. Once I get an extra HD for my PS4, I'll install it, at least. That will probably take several days...

      Delete