Wednesday 16 January 2019

PS4 Purchases #4

Okay, they weren't purchases this time, strictly speaking, for I was fortunate enough to receive two brand new PS4 games for Christmas this year, as bequeathed by my simply delightful family. I guess I was at least moderately good this year (chortle)!

Surviving Mars by Haemimont Games / Paradox Interactive (2018)

Historically, I've always been a bit turned off by strategy games, I'm ashamed to say. I do like spacey stuff though, so I added this game to my Amazon wishlist a while back in the hopes that it might persuade me to stop being such a lazy oaf and actually put some time/effort into one. I went for this one mainly due to the setting and premise which are certainly appealing - the player is charged with building and maintaining a domed city - or cities - on the slightly inhospitable Red Planet. Shades of The Martian, perhaps? Well, the game is apparently modelled on real martian data so it's certainly possible (eep!). I'll just have to hope it's beginner-friendly too, or I might have a tough time working out how to play it! I'm looking forward to giving it a try anyway. Watch out martians - mankind is here to ruin your planet too!

Slime Rancher by Monomi Park / Skybound Games (2017)

I'm nearly always drawn to these colourful, crazy-looking games with cute characters and all that stuff, so Slime Rancher has been on my wanted list for quite a while. For most of that time it has been on my Steam wishlist but I recently found that it received a physical PS4 release too, which immediately became my most wanted version. It actually sounds like a bit of a strategy-ish game as well, as you have to build and run a ranch on which you collect, raise, feed and breed a variety of different slimes, each type with its own personality, likes/dislikes, etc. It sounds like it will be great fun - maybe one of those games to get lost in when you've had a bad day? That's the impression I get anyway - it makes me smile just looking at the ultra-spiffing instruction booklet that comes with it.

A mighty hearty thanks to my parents and my sister and brother-in-law for these generous gifts. As well as your other gifts of course, most of which will also probably be featured here at some point. I'm very grateful :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment