Friday 26 February 2021

First Celebrity Crushes?

I was talking to my good friend Luke recently, about Sandra Bullock as prompted by my recent post here as I recall, and he commented as he has before about my 'celebrity attractions' as he puts it. I think he finds it strange but nearly everyone has a celebrity crush or two, don't they? My wife predictably likes Pitt and DiCaprio and I've had certain favourites for many years now too.


The way people are these days I'm sure I would be called sexist or worse anyway, but it's not about tits and arse. Well, it's certainly not just about that. Personality and/or talent always come into play as well, for me at least. Anyway, my brief conversation with Luke got me thinking: who were my first celebrity crushes?

Normally posts like this here would consist of five examples of the given topic but while thinking about this question, six names came to me and couldn't decide who to cut, so here are, what I firmly believe to be, my first ever celebrity crushes! On the off chance anyone sees this post, feel free to mention yours in the comments :)

Princess Leia / Carrie Fisher

Yes, it's an obvious one, but who can blame me? There can't have been many straight guys who grew up in the 70s or early 80s who didn't have at least a bit of a thing for this rebellious princess, surely? Although I always liked her character, I was too young to recognise a hot woman when A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back came out. I guess I was too young when Return of the Jedi first came out too, but like many, I taped all three films off the TV and watched them repeatedly, and it wasn't too long before I liked more than just the character that Carrie Fisher portrayed.

Whilst highly appealing in all her guises, even the somewhat abrasive Hoth version, it was unsurprisingly her stay alongside the loathsome Jabba the Hut that proved the most captivating. The costume and the scenario generally has come in for some flak in recent years, even from Fisher herself prior to her sad passing, but no one can deny the impact it had on a whole generation. Yes, you could say it sexualises her somewhat; you could also argue that it was important to the story and her character's development. People didn't hunt around looking for things to be offended by in those days though, and Ms. Fisher was a gorgeous as well as talented woman back then, and undoubtedly had a cracking figure too.


Lorraine Baines McFly / Lea Thompson

Back to the Future has always been a special film for me. Not only it is one of the best of all time (I still watch it now and then and it's still great!), and not only did it star the excellent Michael J. Fox, but it also starred the ultra-lovely Lea Thompson as his prudish, mopey, apparently alcoholic mother. Well, that's how she seems to begin with, but as Marty is shocked to find after his accidental trip back in time, she certainly wasn't always that way (with the possible exception of the booze)!

Not only was she gorgeous but she was also rather, how shall we say, uninhibited in her pursuit of the object of her affections. Unfortunately for Marty, that was him which is weird, but for most of us she was a corker! It was a great, scene-stealing performance by Ms. Thompson too. I haven't seen her in much else (except All the Right Moves, obviously) but seeing her in BTTF is always a highlight whenever I watch it. She's still gorgeous now too, and she's nearly 60...


Debbie Gibson

I can't even remember how I first heard of Ms. Gibson now - it was probably a result of taping the Top 40 UK charts every Sunday - but she quickly found her way into my affections. Even Luke liked her! We used to read fact files and interviews with her in magazines like Smash Hits and had posters of her on our walls. I'm confident I still have my 7" singles of her hits somewhere too. Unlike many pop stars of the day, especially younger ones, she even wrote a majority of them herself.

Also unlike many other pop stars, she wasn't a 'sex sells' type either, and didn't dress provocatively, even when she had been established for a few years (she was only 17 when her first album was released - don't worry, I was even younger so it was okay to have the hots for her!). She certainly had a distinctive style anyway though, and had a fondness for hats as you can see here.


Counsellor Troi / Marina Sirtis

Like many, I grew up watching the original Star Trek series and still have fond memories of those Sunday mornings. When I heard about a 'new' Star Trek on the way, I was obviously therefore very keen to see it. Happily, it turned out to be excellent, and one of the highlights for me, and no doubt many others, was Marina Sirtis as the ship's curvy counsellor, Deanna Troi. She was gorgeous, even with her big 80s hair, but I suspect many eyes were fixed slightly lower down her form than that, owing to her 'unique' Starfleet uniforms.

Every other crew member on the ship had their colourful pyjamas which went from their necks all the way down, but not Counsellor Troi. No, she had several special uniforms which, in addition to being as tight as everyone else's, also had plunging necklines and consequently ample cleavage on display! In all fairness, she had an amazing figure and would probably have looked great in anything, but those uniforms certainly helped endear her to me and I'm sure many others.


Patsy Kensit

Apparently the lovely Ms. Kensit was an actress from the age of about four or five which I didn't know but she first came to my attention as singer of the pop group Eighth Wonder who had a few semi-hit singles in the late 80s (I must still have those singles at my parents' house somewhere too) when she was about 20. They didn't continue for long after this though, and she returned to acting.

It looks like she was still acting the whole time actually so the music must've just been a side project, but she was a slightly higher-profile actress by now and had a few very memorable scenes in Lethal Weapon 2 which I wasn't old enough to watch when it came out (I still ended up with a VHS copy somehow - I must still have that somewhere too) and thanks to that I sought out a few of her other films like Timebomb, Twenty-One and Bitter Harvest in which she often seemed to play a hot sexpot! Looks like she's mostly doing 'reality' shows now though...


Kylie Minogue

Near enough everyone who grew up in the UK, and presumably Australia too, had the hots for Kylie in the late 80s. She quickly rose to prominence upon being cast in Neighbours at the age of 18 as Charlene, a tomboy mechanic. Looking back, it seems like she was always on the show but it was actually only for two years before she left to pursue a career in music. Flash forward 30+ years to today and she has sold 70+ million records and is still going strong at 52 years young!

I doubt even her biggest fans at the time could've foreseen that but she must either be very smart or at least smart enough to surround herself with very smart people since she has endured for far longer than most in pop music. According to her, the secret is being 'okay' at lots of things ("I'm an okay singer, an okay dancer, an okay actor...") but even she has to admit that a lot of her success is thanks to her outstanding 'attributes' as well as her music.

Indeed, for if petite ladies are your thing, few have ever been sexier than Kylie who, despite standing at a mere 5'0", still manages to have perhaps the greatest arse to have ever existed! That said, Kylie has always managed to be sexy without being sleazy and her ability to reinvent herself has kept her afloat while others around her have sunk without a trace. I should be so lucky indeed!


Honourable Mentions: Ally Sheedy, Elisabeth Shue, Madonna, Leslie Easterbrook, Kelly LeBrock, Karen Allen, Winona Ryder


2 comments:

  1. Reference Debbie, did you know that she very briefly appeared in 1984 "Ghostbusters"? Go to 54:24 and you'll see a girl with a small pink bow in her hair, celebrating her Birthday. Unfortunately her face is hidden behind other diners. Debbie still produces occasional songs, but none as successfull as her earlier hits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did know she was in Ghostbusters actually, but I only found out while writing this post :) Yeah, her first hits sure were catchy. I wonder if my old vinyl albums and singles are worth anything these days? Probably not...

      Delete